Tuesday, February 16, 2010

God's Preeminence Matthew 6:10

Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.



Jesus begins His model prayer with a declaration of God’s Presence and then gives us a declaration of God’s Praise and here He gives us a declaration of God’s Preeminence. What do we mean when we say “God’s Preeminence?” This is a term that refers to God’s eternal characteristics.

God told Moses to tell the children of Israel that “I Am” has sent you. God told Abraham, “I am Yahweh, the great I Am… I always have been; I am who I am and I always will be from everlasting to everlasting.” When I hear the name, “I Am” I think of what I call my working definition of faith. Faith is believing that God is everything that He says He is and that He will do everything that He says He will do. This sums up what I believe God was saying when He said, “I Am.”

Because He is the Great I Am, it is His creation and kingdom that we are a part of. God created all that we know and all that we have and all that we are. He not only created all that we encounter, He created all that we experience. It is His preeminence that deserves our praise and delivers His provisions.

Our prayer needs to be “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” This needs to be our prayer for our lives as well as for the rest of the world. We cannot ask that God’s will be done on earth until we are first willing to let it be done in our lives first. Revival comes as we ask for God’s Spirit to be loosed in our land or in our church and when our prayer is, “let it begin in me.”

We want God’s will in our lives. It will no doubt be different from our will. God’s will is not going to be what we would ask for on our own nor is it likely to be what we would desire on our own. It will be what is best for us as well as His glory and His honor and it will be what is best for our families and our friends and all those who come in contact with our lives on a daily basis.

Our prayer ought always to be “God let me do what is pleasing in Your sight. God give me the grace to be all that You would have me be. Help me to not surrender to my own will or the way of the world but rather help me do Your will. Help me be obedient to Your will and Your Word for my life. Help me O God to please You in everything that I do.”

This is what it means to declare God’s Preeminence in our prayers. This is what we need to be doing each and every morning when we get up and all through out the day. There is no better way to begin our day than with the Lord of glory who always has been and always will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment